Friday 30 April 2010

Reasons to use real nappies v disposable nappies

As it is Real Nappy week I thought I would discuss the reasons why you should consider using real nappies v disposable nappies.

I am currently using real nappies on my baby boy (I did the same with my little girl) as I firstly wanted to help our environment and secondly save money.

Here are five reasons why I use real nappies:

  1. Real nappies are easy to use: No folding and pinning like my mum had to do (and she had twins!)! They are easy to put on they either come with snaps or velcro for the perfect fit, even dads will have no excuse for not being able to change a nappy. They come in a variety of materials, colours and patterns there is a great choice. (My county council also provides me with some free real nappies to get you started - does yours?)

  2. No chemicals. Chemicals used to absorb liquid in disposable nappies are also close to your babies skin. With real nappies, no chemicals. Don’t forget these same chemicals end up in landfills and have an effect on our environment by also ending up in our waters.

  3. Real nappies are easy to wash. I use persil on a hot wash and they always come out clean. I also use nappy liners to keep the nappies free from being soiled.

  4. Gentle on the skin. The wicking action of real nappies pulls liquids away from your baby’s bottom. Baby’s gentle untouched skin needs to be treated with care, what better way than with real nappies.

  5. Save thousands of pounds. I know I am paying for liners and electricity to wash the nappies but I think this outways the cost of disposable nappies and they go to landfill and will never decompose!

Lastly, it definitely helps with potty training as my daughter knew when she was wetting herself so she was dry during the day at 20 months! Then at 2 years old she was also dry at night...brilliant! I am hoping this will be the same for my son.

Just give it a go you will be amazed how easy it is to do.

For more information I would recommend the Real Nappy Information Service as it provides comprehensive information on all aspects of real nappies.

Anna

No comments: