Monday 7 February 2011

Tips on how to be a greener parent

By being a greener parent not only is it helping the enviroment but it also benefits your childs health.
There are a few ways in which you can help without breaking the bank:
  • Re-Usable Nappies
 By using cotton nappies this helps the enviroment because they create less waste. It is said that disposable nappies create 60 times more waste than cotton ones. I have used cotton nappies on both my children and I have found them quite easy to use and wash.
  •  Recycle Clothing
By passing on clothes to either friends, family or to your local charity helps the enviroment as the organic industry can have a high impact on it. We have done this for the last five years as my sister was the first to have a girl 5 years ago and has passed them down twice to my little girl and my sisters.
  • Recycle Cardboard and Paper
We all know that children like to cut, stick and colour to create there own masterpieces. By recycling card, like cereal boxes, and newspapers it not only helps the enviroment but it is a great opportunity to interact with your children.
  • Wooden Toys
Most young children are more interested in the box than the singing all dancing, battery operated toy. Instead you could buy them wooden or natural toys which encourage them to play with their natural enviroment and they are usually less expensive. My sister's daughter was given a wooden train for her 2nd birthday which she played with all the time and now it has been passed to my son.
  • Eco-friendly Food
By preparing your own food for your baby or child provides less waste and is healthier. I found this was a better and cheaper way for me as I could cook in bulk and then freeze down in ice cube trays. When they get older they can also help cook which will teach them about natural produce.
  • Natural Enviroment
Take your children on nature walks, to National Trust places (I have used my ticket loads as we are lucky to have three gardens near us) or just let them help and play in the garden. This is not only good exercise but will encourage children to learn about their enviroment including growing your own fruit and vegetables.


These are just a few ways in which, as a parent, you can help the enviroment without it costing you a fortune.

Anna
New Baby Gifts
New Mum Gifts

No comments: